Monday, January 04, 2016

Inspiration

Just 1 of the many great benefits of blogging and reading others' blogs is the opportunity for inspiration.

While reading this post where Sean mentions his tradition of having Christmas Eve breakfast with husband Jeffery at a random diner and leaving a huge tip for their unsuspecting server, I was inspired by this generous gesture.  So on New Years Eve I had lunch with my friend Steven and decided to leave the server a ridiculous tip.  I say 'ridiculous' because the tip was larger than the bill.  But it pleased me to no end to imagine the joy on the server's face when she came back to bus the table and found that tip.

Sean did it on Christmas Eve; I did it on New Years Eve, but really it can be done anytime.  Random acts of kindness are equally appreciated any day of the year!  It doesn't have to involve tipping or money.  The recipient feels great AND you feel great so its a win/win situation.

Hopefully you now feel inspired to commit a random act of kindness which will brighten at least 2 people's day.


3 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

right before the holidays, I let this nice older woman get in line in front of me at the grocery store. she had a few items and was leaning on a cane; she mentioned that she was 88 and lived alone.

I told the cashier to put her items on my bill. the woman protested - "but I can never repay you". I told her "happy holidays and pass it on".

Fearsome Beard said...

I believe that kindness does pass on, it radiates out from us. When you "pay it forward" inadvertently the person you do it for will do it for another and them for another and so on.

Sassybear said...

I'm so glad you did this, and touched I inspired you to try it. We never wait around for thanks, and I doubt we've ever seen the waitperson we've tipped again 9and don't remember them if we do, since we change it up every year to keep it random.) But I want to do it more often, not just on Christmas Eve.

You Rock!