Friday, September 12, 2014

Road trip

Today I am working a 1/2 day (I have a final walk-thru followed by a settlement) and am then coming home to prepare for our road trip.  Spouse has taken the full day off.

We are leaving this afternoon for PA to attend the viewing and funeral of Spouse's uncle Domenic.  He had been in poor health for many years.  The viewing is tonight from 6-9pm and the funeral is tomorrow at 9am.  Uncle Domenic was Spouse's father's brother.  Since he and his wife, Aunt Antoinette, lived in PA we did not see them very often.  Neither of them should be making interstate car trips, and we only made it up to PA a couple times to see them in the last several years.  Fortunately we did attend their big 50th anniversary party a few years back.

Uncle Domenic made a wonderful impression on me the very 1st time I met him and Aunt Antoinette when they were visiting Spouse's parents.  The house was full of relatives and when I referred to him as Domenic he stopped me mid-sentence.  Pointing to the family members in the room he said to me "Hey, all these people call me Uncle Domenic.  In my eyes you are just as much family as they are, so you call me Uncle Domenic too."

Obviously with my family situation (Jehovah's Witnesses who shunned me when I came out), this warm acknowledgement of my place in his family was certainly appreciated.

Spouses's mother, sister, and 2 of his brothers will also be arriving this afternoon for the viewing and tomorrow's funeral.  According to facebook, several of Spouse's cousins have flown in.  Hopefully it will be an occasion to pay our respects but also reconnect and share some happy, upbeat moments too.


5 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

my condolences to your spouse. there should be sadness, but also much food and good memories. yes, I have been to several BIG philly italian funerals.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. It's not a fun trip to make, but as you point out, there will be time for happy things, too! Be safe!

Peace <3
Jay

the cajun said...

Sad news. Condolences to you both, since you are considered family. Have a safe trip and remember the good times had with Uncle Domenic.

Cheers.

BosGuy said...

Sorry for your family's loss.

Ur-spo said...

indeed, sad news. I am glad to see you surrounded by people (real) and bloggers (real in their way)
Hang in there.